Military house insurance

When you work in HM Armed Forces, your house is especially precious. It’s where you kick back and relax, enjoy getting up when you want, and doing what you want – having a beer with old mates, perhaps, or spending quality time with your family.

Forces Advice military home insurance is selected by ex-military with the needs of military families in mind. It includes two policies: contents insurance and buildings insurance, which can be combined in one package for full peace of mind.

Who is military household insurance for?

Forces Advice military household insurance is open to all military personnel – whether Army, Navy or RAF – and their families. Often, it’s the partners of soldiers, sailors and airman who deal with things like insurance back at home – and we welcome enquiries from military partners.

Do you own a house or flat? If so, it’s probably your most important possession. Have you thought about what would happen if you were a victim of a flood or fire? Or if a break-in left you with no possessions? Apart from the stress and emotional impact on you and your kids, you could find yourself looking at £100s or £1,000s of bills.

What’s more, if your partner was away on deployment, you’d have to deal with all that by yourself – which could tip anyone over the edge.

What does forces military house insurance include?

Some accidents and disasters can affect you in multiple ways, so the best option is to combine contents insurance and buildings insurance to make you’re covered for everything.

For example, you might be away on holiday when a flood strikes, ruining your furniture and electrical equipment and also causing structural damage to your building. Just replacing your possessions might cost your thousands. Imagine if you then had to have the builders in. Most families wouldn’t have the savings to cover all this.

Here’s a closer look at the two policies included in military household insurance:

Contents insurance

Military contents insurance pays out if the contents of your house are lost or damaged following a burglary, fire, explosion, leaks or vandalism. It can also protect you against accidental damage.

This could include:

  • furniture
  • household goods
  • jewellery
  • sports equipment
  • TVs and computers
  • clothing and valuables,
  • food and drink

Many insurers cover the cost of replacing locks if your keys are stolen – and most policies can be extended to cover accidental damage or loss of valuable items you frequently take out of your house – such as jewellery, cameras and sports equipment. This is known as an ‘all risks extension’.

Buildings insurance

Buildings insurance covers the actual structure of your house. If you’re a homeowner, it will normally have been a condition of your mortgage.

Military buildings insurance will always include the main building and can be extended – for example, to cover sheds, a garage, fences and gates or a swimming pool. A good buildings insurance policy should cover you for:

  • fire
  • flood
  • subsidence
  • storm damage
  • theft
  • vandalism
  • escape of water and oil
  • damage caused by falling trees, branches or other objects.

What does military household insurance cost?

Every family is different with its own insurance needs, and premiums also vary by postcode, so please contact us for a personal quotation.

Need some help with your insurance?

Call us now on 0333 772 0613 to discuss your requirements with our team

Contact us

Need some help with your insurance?

Call us now on 0333 772 0613 to discuss your requirements with our team

Contact us